Monday, March 22, 2010

The Morning Run

My Battle To Get Out Of Bed In The Morning.

It's raining outside. I'm sitting at the computer rationalizing why I'm sitting at the computer. My running gear (shoes, flashlight, reflective vest) is all ready to go, resting in a pile by the door. Waiting on me, right where I put it last night when this run seemed more important. I didn't run yesterday either. It was a rest day, I trained hard the day before. As a matter of fact I've gotten in exactly three morning runs in the past three weeks. That's when I decided that I was going to start running every morning, three weeks ago.

Just a quick morning run. I'm not looking to replace my regular training, but rather to supplement it. I've got a nice three mile route with only a couple of hills laid out. Even with leaving the house half asleep in the dark of the morning I can run it and be back in 24 minutes.

But it's raining. Or it's too cold. Or it's too dark. Or I'm tired or sore.

Three weeks ago I reset my alarm to 5:30 am. In theory that gives me plenty of extra time to get my run in. In reality it gives me the opportunity to hit the snooze button three times, and get out of bed five minutes earlier than I used to.

I like to run. I really like to run. I feel good after a run. After I run, I want to run more. The problem is this: from my comfortable vantage point in bed, curled up beside my favorite runner in the world, with my soft pillow and warm blanket, I have a hard time understanding that I like running more than laying in bed, and that I'll feel better both physically and mentally if I get up and run. I just can't see the need for a morning run.

I don't know why this is such a struggle for me. I'm usually a 'morning person,' and this is something that I want to do. It's not like work, which I've managed to wake up for every morning for about ever. I'll be hard on myself all day for not running this morning, and tonight, before I go to bed I'll check and make sure that everything is ready for my run in the morning. But in the morning am I going to run?

I'm beginning to frustrate myself, and if I'm not careful I'm going to give myself a pretty harsh talking-to. And I'll deserve it.

5 comments:

James said...

I'd rather run at midnight than get up and run in the AM. I'd really like to find a way to become a morning runner.

Sue said...

If you'd like you can call me and I'll give you a harsh talking to.

The Running Couple said...

James, I'm very tempted to start running at midnight. I think that it would be easier.

Sue, call me at 5:30 am (eastern standard time) tomorrow, that is when I need the tough love.

alexis said...

Sue, please call him on his cell phone. I am already being woke up when his alarm goes off every 9 minutes starting at 5:30 am. Thanks.

That was sweet of you for calling me your favorite runner and here I was thinking it was Jurek. Maybe I shouldn't be such a but about being woke up with your alarm.

Unknown said...

I’m really lucky and so glad that after surfing the web for a long time I have found out this information. .This is Prasen From fap turbo.

http://www.newfapturboreview.com/